When it comes to cooking, I am all about having a constant supply of healthy staples and then getting inspired by seasonal ingredients. I often have no idea what I am going to make until I open up the refrigerator and see what fresh produce we have on hand. I may start going in one direction and then the dish takes a totally different turn in another. Having a spontaneous approach to cooking definitely enhances the creative process for me. I get giddy when the flavors come together just right and the end result is a recipe that I feel is worth sharing. Today's recipe definitely came about this way... and is full of autumn superfoods such as pomegranate seeds, sweet potatoes, and walnuts that combine with quinoa, apples, pears and feta cheese to create a sweet yet savory dish that is undeniably delish. Keep reading for the recipe......
Sweet Autumn Quinoa
- 2 cups cooked tricolored quinoa
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small empire apples, cored and cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 pear, cored and cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 cup honey candied walnuts, chopped instead of crumbled (recipe here)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes, flipping occasionally until crispy on the outside.
- When finished, place in a large bowl and combine with quinoa, apples, pear, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, and feta cheese.
- Mix-in two tablespoons of honey and the lemon juice.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar and the remaining honey on top, garnish with pomegranate seeds and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- Serve at room temperature.
Makes: 4-6 servings