Grilled Apple Tower with Dark Chocolate and Coconut Cream Crunch
- 4 apples, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 13.5 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark chocolate with 70% Cacao
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the honey and water and stir thoroughly. Add the walnuts and toss to coat them with the mixture.
- Spread evenly onto the baking pan. Cook for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, until the nuts are golden brown.
- Cool, then place nuts into a small plastic bag.
- Then crush them into crumbles (I used a meat tenderizer to crush them).
- Store the remaining nuts in an air tight container.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Combine water and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add apple slices to mixture.
- In a small bowl combine canola oil, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Brush apple slices with mixture and then place apples on grill rack.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, turning once.
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator until very chilled.
- Open the can of coconut milk.
- Scoop out the top layer of cream that has solidified at the top of the can until you reach the water (you can save the water for later use or drink it).
- Place the cream in a medium bowl and mix-in the remaining ingredients.
- Whip the coconut cream until it has soft peaks (about 4 minutes).
- Place water in the bottom of the double boiler so the top of the water is 1/2 inch below the upper pan.
- Then place the double boiler over low heat.
- Stir the chocolate constantly until it is melted.
- The water in the bottom of the double boiler should not come to boiling while the chocolate is melting.
- On individual plates, start layering the apple slices alternating each layer with coconut cream and chocolate, ending with an apple slice on top.
- Sprinkle crumbled candied walnuts on top and around the plate.
- Add two tablespoons of coconut cream on the side.
- Garnish the top of the tower and the side of coconut cream with mint and cinnamon sprinkles.
Makes: 2-3 servings