I'm not quite ready for "comfort foods" yet, but I am definitely starting to lean towards warm dishes. This salad recipe which was inspired by ingredients from my recent trip to the local farmer's market, combines fresh greens with grounding earthy flavors. The feta cheese gives it a touch of richness, the quinoa adds a nutty flavor and the pumpkin seeds provide a nice crunch. The combination of ingredients are not only addictively delicious but also cleansing. Beets are a known liver tonic and also a blood purifier, the greens are full of Vitamin K and cancer preventing properties, and the Allium vegetables (leeks, shallots, garlic and scallions) have immune boosting and anti-inflammatory properties. It works as a side dish with dinner or is also perfect for lunch. Keep reading for the recipe!
- 1 bunch beets including greens, washed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves. minced
- 2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 bunch purple kale, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cooked tri-color quinoa
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the beets from the greens and place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over the beets and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with aluminium foil and place in oven for 50 minutes or until tender all the way through
- Set them aside to cool. Once the beets are cool, remove the skins and dice.
- Remove the red stems from the beet greens.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and leeks, cook until translucent.
- Raise heat to high, add 2 tablespoons of water and kale. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add beet greens and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer greens to a serving dish and mix in quinoa. Layer beets on top, sprinkle pumpkin seeds, as well as the feta cheese and scallions.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Makes: 4 servings as a side and 2 servings as a main.
Images: Intrinsic Beauty