This cocktail recipe is featuring one of my fall favorites - persimmons. The beautiful bright orange fruit is not only aesthetically pleasing but it is surprisingly versatile. The Fuyu variety, which looks similar to a tomato has a sweet, slightly mango like flavor and can be eaten either firm or soft. They are good in salads, stuffing's, cobblers, breads, grain dishes, tarts and much, much more. I decided to try the seasonal darling in a cocktail.....
The fruits flavor pairs perfectly with tequila, so I played it up and created a Sparkling Persimmon Margarita with a Cinnamon Sugar Rim. The combination is absolutely delightful and a great festive addition to any fall party. For Halloween, stick with the recipe, use black sugar instead for the rim and garnish with a candy corn. Cheers!
Sparkling Persimmon Margarita
- 2 Fuyu persimmons, stemmed and sliced
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 1 1/2 ounces lime juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 ounce trip-sec
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar (salt is good too)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Ice cubes
- Sparking rosé
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon with 2 tablespoons of sugar on a plate. Wet the rim of each martini glass with lime and then dip into the mixture.
- In a blender, add sliced persimmons, water, and agave syrup.
- Then in a shaker, add ice, tequila, triple-sec, lime juice, remaining cinnamon and persimmon.
- Shake vigorously and strain into glasses
- Top off with sparkling rosé.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
Makes: 2 servings