Tomatoes are my absolute favorite summer produce and they don't need much to make them delicious. A little sea salt, ground pepper, fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive - it's magic! Once tomato season hits, I include them in almost every meal - and they are always a crowd pleaser. Mix an array of varieties and colors for an eye catching presentation.
We checked out some new local farms last weekend including Deep River Farms. We came home with an abundance of beautiful tomatoes. This is the view behind their farm stand.
Summer Tomatoes with Garlic Chives and Basil
- 1-2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (yellow and purple)
- 3 or more tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons basil, coursly chopped
- 2 tablespoon garlic chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Maldon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper or to taste
- Layer the the beefsteak tomato slices on the bottom of a plate or large bowl then add the cherry tomatoes on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil, balsamic vinegar and add herbs.
- Garnish with a few leaves of basil.
Makes: 6 Servings