Here are a few tips on how to prepare them for an arrangement:
- The best time to cut the rhododendrons is in the early morning.
- Before heading outside, fill a bucket with just enough warm water to be able to cover the stems.
- Take the bucket with you and as soon as you cut the rhododendrons, place them immediately into the water.
- When it comes time to arranging, cut the stem of the flower on an angle at a desired length, and place into a vase with warm water.
- Keep the flowers in a cool place, away from direct sunlight.
I have taken a keen interest in how to make the shrubs look better when they are not in bloom so I can enjoy them throughout the year. I have also learned that you can "force"them to bloom in the winter. To learn more about caring for rhododendrons, read here.
Next up, my favorite...peonies!!
Images: pinterest & IB