Start Thanksgiving dinner by serving Stuffed Delicata Squash for your first course. It will impress your guests as they will have no idea how easy it is to make. You can prepare the dish the night before and then heat up on Turkey day. The Delicata squash variety is a cross between a sweet potato and butternut squash in taste and texture. It is not too sweet so works well with savory ingredients for stuffing. Keep reading for the recipe....
Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 2 medium Delicata squashes, halved and seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned of grit, thinly sliced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch spinach, rinsed (4 cups)
- 1/2 a cup sliced almonds
- 2-3 ounces goat cheese
- Sprigs of Thyme for garnish
- Adjust oven rack to middle and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rub squash with 1 tablespoon oil and lightly season with salt and pepper, then lay on a baking sheet.
- Cook for about 30 - 40 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- While squash is roasting, heat remaining olive oil in a large, skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and leeks, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add spinach and almonds, cook until spinach is wilted ( about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove squash from oven and divide filling evenly among 4 halves.
- Sprinkle squash with goat cheese.
- Return to oven and adjust to broil for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is nicely browned.
Makes: 4 servings