Now that October is here, I will be featuring the seasonal beauties all month long! Keep reading for the recipe...
- 5-6 cups chicken broth, as needed (you can substitute with vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup pureed organic pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons local honey
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic chives
- Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in medium size Dutch oven or skillet, then add shallots and garlic and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, stirring often and saute until rice is toasted and fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the hot broth into the rice, one cup at a time. Cook, stirring almost constantly, until the rice absorbs almost all of the broth, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in another cup of broth, and stir until it is almost absorbed.
- Repeat, keeping the risotto at a steady simmer and adding more broth as it is absorbed.
- After about three cups of broth, add in pumpkin and honey until it is absorbed, then red pepper.
- Add more broth until you use all the broth and the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in toasted pine nuts and sage.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls, sprinkle with chives and add apple on top.
Makes: 4 servings
Images: Intrinsic Beauty