3.05.2013

Good Morning: Blueberry Chocolate Almond Smoothie


After spending almost two weeks in sunny Southern California, I have moved past the winter comfort foods and onto lighter dishes that are more spring like. OK, well - I have been making this transition since January. But now, I want nothing but Baja style tacos, avocado with every meal and smoothies - all CA staples.  To me, smoothies are like sunshine in a glass and make me happy when I have them in the morning. I'm constantly trying new ingredients and this concoction of blueberries, cacao powder, almond butter and a handful of kale has just the right amount of sweet for the morning and is loaded with anti-oxidants. The almond butter gives the smoothie a creamier texture, provides some healthy fat and protein, and helps to balance out glucose levels.  I  always suggest adding some healthy fat to a  smoothie so it's not one big fructose rush. The kale gives you some green power, and for anyone who does not like kale (i.e. my husband), they wont even know it's there. Read more for the recipe...




Blueberry Chocolate Almond Smoothie 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup blueberries 
  • 3/4 cups water 
  • Juice of an orange
  • 3 tablespoons greek yogurt 
  • 2 teaspoons cacao powder 
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter 
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened dried coconut 
  • Handful of kale 
  • 2 cups ice (less or more  - to your taste) 
Directions
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 
  2. Pour into glasses. 
  3. Add blueberries for garnish. 
Makes: 2-3 glasses 

No comments:

Post a Comment