Quinoa is by by far my absolute favorite grain. I love its' nutty flavor and wonderfully fluffy yet crunchy texture. It is not only tasty, but really good for you - full of protein and fiber. In fact, it has more protein than any other grain and is a complete protein containing all 9 of the essential amino acids. Also known as "Incas Gold" (ancient grain from South America), it helps with reducing blood pressure levels and is chalk full of heart healthy minerals.
This recipe is great for a quick bite before work (you can cook the grains ahead of time and store in the fridge) or for a light brunch with friends. And to continue our winter citrus theme, the zesty flavor from the lemon conjures up thoughts of spring and sunshine.....
For all you Vegetarian's out there, this dish definitely helps with getting your daily protein intake. Enjoy!
Lemon Quinoa with Poached Eggs & Fresh Greens
- 1 cup of dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 juice lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 cup of mixed spring greens (I get the pre-washed organic mix)
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated Pecorino Romano
- Soak quinoa for 5 minutes and then rinse using a fine mesh strainer.
- Transfer quinoa to to cooking pot, add 11/2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on, fluff gently with a fork.
- Chop chives. In a medium-sized bowl, mix chives with 1 cup of greens and quinoa.
- Bring water in a saucepan to almost boiling - water should be just simmering. Add two teaspoons of white vinegar to the water - the vinegar will help the egg whites to congeal more easily.
- Crack each egg into a separate small cup, then gently drop the egg into the water. Allow egg to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix garlic powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small cup then slowly add olive oil and whisk with a fork. Pour most of the vinaigrette over quinoa mixture; toss.
- Distribute quinoa mixture into separate bowls.
- Remove eggs from water with slotted spoon and place each egg on-top of quinoa mixture.
- Drizzle remaining vinaigrette, sprinkle with salt and pepper and Romano cheese.
- Add slice of lemon for garnish.
- Serve immediately.
Makes: 2 servings.
Image: Intrinsic Beauty