8.11.2015

Warm Summer Berries with Plums and Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream


The farmers markets are bursting with big beautiful berries and I am taking full advantage of the bounty. I have been coming home with pints ensuring that my antioxidant quota is being met as well as my desire to cook with them...

I love adding berries to my morning granola, tossing them in a spinach salad for lunch and featuring them for dessert - enter - Warm Summer Berries with Plums and Vanilla Ice Cream.  This recipe is my substitute for a traditional berry crumble. You don't have to turn on the oven and instead of oats - I opt for crumbled walnuts and pomegranate seeds. You can cook it on the stove top or outside on the grill. It cooks in about 7 minutes, tastes totally decadent,  and is an absolute crowd-pleaser.












 Warm Summer Berries with Plums and Vanilla Ice Cream

 Ingredients:
  • 1 pint blueberries 
  • 1 pint blackberries 
  • 3 plums, pit removed and sliced
  • 2 tablespoons dark maple syrup 
  • 2 tablespoons water 
  • 1 pint vanilla coconut milk ice cream (vegan) 
  • 6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds 
  • 6 tablespoons crushed walnuts 
Instructions: 
  1. In a large skillet over medium to high heat combine berries, plums, maple syrup and water. 
  2. Simmer for 7 - 10 minutes. You want the fruit to still maintain shape but get some syrupy goodness too.
  3. Remove from heat, and divide the warm fruit between 6 bowls, leaving some syrup in the skillet. 
  4. In each bowl, sprinkle two tablespoons of crushed walnuts over the fruit.
  5. Then add two scoops of vanilla ice cream (I used vegan coconut milk ice cream).
  6. Spoon the remaining syrup over the ice cream and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Makes: 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment