Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard, Tomatoes and Herbs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Swiss chard, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (marjoram, thyme, basil, and chives)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby tomatoes, sliced
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half (optional)
- 4 nasturtium blossoms and chopped chives, for garnish
- Multi-grain baguette, toasted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter four 1/2-cup ramekins.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, and cook for about 1 minute. Add herbs, Swiss chard, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes or until greens are wilted.
- Divide the sauté mixture evenly among the ramekins, and then layer the sliced tomatoes on top.
- Break an egg into each ramekin, and spoon the half and half evenly over each egg.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until the egg whites are opaque and the yolks look firm around the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped chives and nasturtium blossoms.
- Serve immediately with toasted baguette slices.
Makes: 4 servings